Wednesday, January 30, 2013

OBSTACLES INTO OPPORTUNITIES

Forgot your gym shoes at home. Snow storm. Stuck in a hotel. Babysitter cancelled. Super busy at work.  What do you think?  OBSTACLES?  Yes... OPPORTUNITIES? Maybe.. ;)
I am honestly impressed and inspired daily by my amazing clientele and class participants.  These guys are HARD CORE.  Hard core.  They have shown up to train with socks on, Crocs on, even barefoot (ie. forgot your gym shoes at home). I once trained a client in her suit.  She forgot her workout clothes, but was determined to get her session in.  Awesome!  Bad snow storm hits Denver. My clients make it in.  My class is still full. I have had class participants rearrange their work schedules around class time. If they have to leave early to make a meeting, they show up, do as much as they can, wipe off their sweat and get back to work.  The client story that inspired this blog post happened last week. She was in Vegas for work and determined not to get off track or let her fitness slip. She'll tell you about it...

"To stick to my fitness goals in Vegas and not be defeated by the $20+ gym fee, I packed my running shoes and used the strip to log in 15,000 steps a day.  I used a pedometer to keep my motivation and to try to push myself to go further each day.  I also took to the hotel stairs, my particular hotel tower had 15 floors and a stair well to go with it, as all do per fire code.  I hiked those stairs and when I got to the top I took the elevator down.  Back up again, elevator down.  Up again, elevator down.  Five times, for a total 39 minutes of stair heaven.  

The nice part of using the elevator down was that it gave me just enough time to catch my breath before starting the next hike which allowed me to do it more times than I would have otherwise done if I took the stairs down. Each stair workout (which I did two out of the four days I was there) and every other walking day was followed by the regular push-up, crunch and oblique routine I have established.

That is how I met my fitness goals in Vegas.  In getting my workouts in, it helped me to make good choices while eating out.

Thanks Emilee for the inspiration and for getting my head back in the game before I took off to Vegas, the week could have gone in a completely different direction."

Seriously awesome! Talk about turning an obstacle into an opportunity! 

Life is going to get busy, things are going to happen. How you handle it and what you choose to do makes all the difference. Stay focused and get creative!  Obstacles or opportunities?  It is up to you ;)  Get to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment